- Crime Victim Services
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner
If You Are A Victim of Rape or Sexual Assault
- Go to a safe place.
- Do not wash or douche. Do not eat or drink anything if oral sex was involved. Do not remove, touch or destroy any article which may be evidence, including clothing.
- Call the police by dialing 911 or get to the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Unit or nearest hospital emergency room.
- Explain that you have been sexually assaulted and need to be examined.
- Request an advocate from The Safe Center LI to accompany you through your stay at the hospital by calling the hotline 516-542-0404.
- You should request a test for pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, hepatitis, and HIV.
- Consider whether you need safe housing.
- Seek out assistance and help from family members or friends whom you trust.
- Consider making a police report if you have not already made one.
- Get confidential counseling from a qualified trauma counselor to help you deal with your experience by calling 516-542-0404.
- What is SANE?
- What is the SANE Unit?
- Who supports the SANE Unit?
- Who can use the SANE Unit?
- How does someone get to the SANE Unit?
- When does the Unit operate?
- What happens at the SANE Unit?
- What are your options?
- Do I have to go through the examination alone?
- What is a forensic nurse?
- Do I have to prosecute the offender if I use the SANE Center?
- What fees will be charged to patients who use the Unit?
- Who will have access to medical records or evidence collected?
- Where would I take a child who has been raped or sexually assaulted?
More SANE Contacts
Northwell Health, at North Shore University Hospital
Nassau University Medical Center (NUMC)
|The Safe Center LI||516-542-0404|
|Special Victims Squad
Nassau County Police Department
|Special Victims Bureau
Nassau County District Attorney's Office